The laptop is pretty much dead – I need a MacBook Pro! June 17, 2008Posted by Raul in blogosphere, geekifying myself, personal life, random thoughts, Web 2.0.
Tags: Apple, emachines, hardware, laptop
A while ago, I wrote about how my laptop (e-machines) was dying. I was going to write to e-machines and say “hey, I’m your poster boy for laptops – I took such good care of mine that it lasted me THREE YEARS!”.
Well, the problem is that the barcode is almost gone so I have no clue of how to contact e-machines and let them know that I need a new laptop (they should have given me a new one since there were more than four physical failures, but whatever – the last one happened pretty much after my Future Shop 3 year warranty expired). And I wouldn’t expect Future Shop to give me a new laptop (though I won’t stop them if they do!).
I was talking to Rebecca about how I really needed a new laptop and how I thought that Apple should send me a new one (or an Apple distributor like MacStation) or some random stranger (like it happened to Mostly Lisa, who got a new Mac Book Air sent by a secret admirer!)
WHY DO I NEED A MacBook Pro?
Well, there are various reasons why I don’t just want a MacBook and I need a MacBook Pro.
– I am a researcher, and a substantial part of my work involves (and will involve even more) mathematical modeling. I need a laptop that can handle a substantial of calculations, and that has strong computing power. Whatever that might be 🙂
– I am also interested in urban sustainability, geography and planning. Thus I am bound to use (unavoidably) Geographical Information Systems (GIS). I need a laptop that can handle ArcView swiftly and neatly.
– I plan to do some consulting on the side, which means I need Visio and other neat stuff to draw diagrams. Powerful graphics and beautiful visualizations = MacBook Pro.
– Almost finally, I have a blog whose readership seems to be growing (thank you everyone!). I would like to continue providing good content and to do that, I need a powerful computer. Hello MacBook Pro!
– Last, but not least: my friends are Mac geeks. With very few exceptions, almost all the geeky-friends I have are Mac users. I must assimilate to The Collective. Resistance is futile.
WHY DON’T YOU BUY IT, RAUL?
Good question – and the true and honest answer is – I can’t, right now. My budget is limited (as I am in a job transition). If I had $ 3,300 dollars to spare, I wouldn’t buy myself a new laptop. I would fly to Paris, Rome, Madrid, Ibiza and Prague for a MUCH DESERVED holiday. THEN, and only THEN, I would think about hardware… but I digress, hehehe.
The easy way out would probably be to buy myself a cheap laptop (on my credit card – WHOA – Nancy Zimmerman would probably berate me for increasing my credit card debt!). Or ask e-machines to see if they’d give me a free one (or at least a new one with a substantial discount). But I think I need to move towards Mac. It seems like the sensible option.
So in the next few weeks, I hope you don’t mind but I will be publishing a series of posts basically trying to harness the power of Web 2.0 in a quest for a new (hopefully Mac) laptop. We’ll see if I’m successful. Either that, or I’ll land a dream job with a six-figure income and my first paycheque will go towards a new MacBook Pro. Seriously!
I could start a Facebook petition (but I’m not on Facebook), or implement a “Tip Jar” button on the sidebar. But heck, I haven’t figured out how I want to harness the power of Web 2.0 to get my new laptop. If you have any suggestions, you’re more than welcome to drop me a comment!